VIARTIS

 

 

 PARKINSON'S DISEASE NEWS

 

 

 

 

 

 

Parkinson's Disease News covers all significant new research, reports, books, and resources concerning Parkinson's Disease. Articles are chosen on the basis of their medical significance or potential interest. Our overwhelming priority is the facts, regardless of whether they contradict prevailing views or vested interests. Analysis and further information are provided either to explain the background or implications, or to balance misleading claims. If you notice errors or inadequacies, or dispute what is written, or want to propose articles, please e-mail [email protected].

                                           

 

18th November 2015 - New research

THE IMPACT OF DATSCAN ON PARKINSON'S DISEASE DIAGNOSIS

 CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE OR WHITE BACKGROUND VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE

The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of DaTscan in people with and without Parkinson's Disease in order to assess the degree of confidence in the diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. DaTscan is the name of a clear colourless solution used for injection in SPECT scans. A SPECT scan uses a radioactive substance and a special camera to create three dimensional images that show how the organs work. The patient is positioned on a table in the room where they undergo the SPECT scan. For more information go to : Spect Scan

L-dopa is When a DaTscan was carried out on people with definite Parkinson's Disease, the DaTscan was markedly abnormal in 92% of people with Parkinson's Disease and normal in the remaining 8%. Each of the sensitivity and positive predictive values of DaTscan in patients who had a clinical diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease is therefore 92%.

In people with an uncertain diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease, 48% had remarkably abnormal scans, 16% had mild abnormalities, and 36% had normal scans.

A markedly abnormal DaTscan is confirmed as the diagnostic pattern for Parkinson's Disease but not in all people with Parkinson's Disease. Remarkably abnormal scans can also occur in people who did not have a certain diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. Therefore, even though the DaTscan is one of the most accurate methods of diagnosing Parkinson's Disease no method of diagnosis provides complete certainty.

Reference : Clinical Nuclear Medicine [2015] 40 (5) : 390-393 (I.Gayed, U.Joseph, M. Fanous, D.Wan, M.Schiess, W.Ondo, K.S.Won) Complete abstract  For more news go to Parkinson's Disease News

 

E-MAIL NOTIFICATION : If you would like to be notified by e-mail when any new articles are added to Parkinson's Disease News,  please merely e-mail [email protected] with the message "subscribe".  No form of identity is required.  E-mail addresses are not used for any other purpose.


PARKINSON'S DISEASE BOOKS from Amazon


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
2006-2015  Viartis
 
2015-11-18 10:24:39
 
[email protected]